According to statistics found in the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) study, “Growing Up Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) in America” LGBT youth have experienced the following:
- A 40% higher rate of suicidality
- Half as likely to report being happy as compared to their non LGBT peers
- 29% feel that they do not have a trusted adult to confide in
- Over half are likely to experiment with drugs and alcohol, as compared to 22% of their straight counterparts
- Over half report being verbally bullied and harassed
- 77% believe things will get better in the future
So why camp?